2.15.2016

Oregon Coast

My Texas friend Amy and I are real pros at leaving our husbands and children for girls weekends. Sometimes twice per year.  This year we commemorated our (23rd) birthdays by meeting in Portland for an Oregon Coast Writing Retreat.  We met in the airport, chowed on some Cafe Yum (a Portland airport hot spot) and rented a car for a three hour (turned 4 due to directions from an Oregon travel guide who knew NOT what he was talking about) drive up the coast.  We ended at an unbelievable beach house in Seal Rock.  There were a slew of other women from around the US, complete strangers to each other, but sharing beds none-the-less.  Us writer types aren't afraid of intimacy. Luckily, I've slept with Amy many a times, so this wasn't an issue for us.
 



This retreat was hosted by the glamorous, hysterical, sarcastic, constantly laughing, down to earth, legging wearing, blogging Mama of five, Beth Woolsey.  A friend turned me on to her blog and I immediately noticed this unbelievably inexpensive writing retreat via her site.  I signed up without hesitation - not sure if I even asked Tim before I did it.  It advertised lodging, prepared meals with clean up, alcohol and writing guidance for under $400, which we assumed was too good to be true. We figured it would be worth the nightmare stories if it indeed was too good to be true.  

Surprise, it was awesome and just what the doctor ordered.  14 kick ass women, all varying flavors, a phenomenally beautiful setting on the sand, gourmet, gluten and dairy free diet approved food, unlimited booze and 3 days of writing guidance, sharing, and ugly crying.  All wrapped up in a Beth approved bow, which is not your typical bow.  A very colorful, spicy bow.  




 I borrowed all these photos from fellow retreaters who thought ahead to bring their cameras.  My cheapo Cricket phone captured rather pathetic versions of these.  













 This was Amy and my favorite spot.  Can you blame us?  



 






I did write one piece while I nestled into the coziness of this retreat, but that'll be for another day.  It's way too heavy for all the loveliness noted above.  Thanks to Beth and all the other feminitas for a memorable retreat.  I'll close with a piece written by our sweet and soon-to-be-famous pod caster, Aileen.

We leave Seal Rock today. It's actually sad. I seldom do girly things and, honestly, try to avoid them mostly. But my heart is filled with morsels of sisterhood with these women. I am old enough to be mother to at least half of them. Listening to their stories and writings has filled my heart and soul with yet again another perspective and, too, with hope!
There are heart-rending stories of loss and grief. Struggles with the dark abyss of raw emotion. To these, I can so closely relate. The stories are not mine, yet they encapsulate mine so clearly. There are bits of levity that we enjoy so purely and thoroughly together. The tears and laughter have shaped a bond that we will carry from this place as a shield. We have formed a ya-ya sisterhood of sorts from our short time together.
I depart this place with my heart charged and renewed. My focus and purpose are validated. I have accepted and now own the mantle of writer. I am she!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's to ugly crying! :)