1.26.2008

Calling All Moms....Leave Your Children



Since Mile High Dad was invited to a bachelor party to top all bachelor parties in Utah coming up in March, I decided that perhaps Mile High Mom deserved a get-away to even out the score. My husband is a very reasonable man and encouraged me to find a free trip where I could stay with a friend and use miles to get there. Good thing we're both Dutch or there might be some serious hostility in our marriage.


That mission was accomplished within days of the initial conversation. I booked a flight to San Antonio (I'd never been to Texas) to visit my Chicago Met girlfriend and ex-roomate Amy. She's due to have a bambino in April, so time was limited. Mile High Dad didn't really think about the fact that he'd have the Little Dude all by himself, but I was secretly very excited about that reality. Dads so rarely get the special blessing of spending an entire day, from wake-up to bed-time, alone with their kiddos. This would be a treat!


Well, I'm here in Texas as I write this and am enjoying every milasecond. I packed a small suitecase and found myself putting diapers in it. The flight was the most enjoyable traveling experience to date, despite the nausiating turbulance. And the meals out, girly movies and spa experience to come this afternoon are being savored. Mile High Dad and Little Dude are bonding and enjoying their time together. It's extra special that Dude is now freely crawling all over without incentives, so that's making it even more enjoyable for Dad. Don't worry, he's dropping Dude off with friends to go snowmobiling tomorrow, so dont feel too bad. Thanks Aunt C for picking up the slack.


Some moms out there just don't see the enjoyment in leaving their children. Get counseling for that. A little time for yourself is enough to make you actually look forward to changing diapers full of funk.

0 comments: