11.25.2015

Overflowing



The kids and I did a Thanksgiving tree Pinterest crafty deal this afternoon.  They had to cut out leaves and write things they're thankful for on them.  I anticipated "toys, family, chicken nuggets, tigers, magic powers, Enzo, XBox, etc. Instead Dude hauled out, "God being alive on the earth, heaven, myself, Awana, my Tourettes presentations....  Squirt mentioned toys, her scooter, learning about Jesus and God, Pre-K, and Enzo and Gulpy the fish.  I underestimate these little people.  Every day.  They remind me to view the world from the lens of their innocence and simplicity.  Bad doesn't feel so bad to them.  Bad fades so quickly.  And good feels magnificent.  Good doesn't fade quickly.  God is radically great and #1 on their thankful list, without question.  Squirt reminds me almost daily that she loves God more than she loves me.  Smart kid.

This Thanksgiving, I'm choosing to overflow.  These kids bring my cup to the overflowing status - when I allow them to.  It's so easy to grant myself permission to get annoyed and impatient with their antics and special needs and whining and pooping and crumbs.  I'm quick to snap and talk with my stern eyes.  The computer and phone dominate my attention so quickly, pulling me away from them. I stick to my agenda and fit them in where I can.  It's all me.  I allow my cup to stay stagnant at half full most days.  I don't look long enough when they're smirking at me and showing off their latest scribbled masterpiece.  I insist the dishwasher needs emptying before I can make my way to eat the plastic food she's cooked up for me.  I use the iPad as a babysitter so I can check off just one more item on my list.  I prevent my cup from overflowing most days.

Slowing down, parking my butt on the floor, looking them in the eye balls, tucking away the to do list in a drawer, whipping up a home cooked meal, saying "yes" when they ask me to play...those are the days I go to bed feeling accomplished.  Those are the days they don't annoy me and their charm is edible.  I want more of those days.

Here's hoping you see the edible charm, wherever it might come from in most of your days.  Happy Thanksgiving.            

0 comments: