12.22.2008

Waiting in Line


I got stuck waiting in a super long line at Target this morning. Annoying. So much to do...so little time. This morning I also witnessed a line of my mile high neighbors that extended around a city block in East Denver. It was bitter cold. Hundreds of kids...babies...were standing there with mom and dad. Some were in bath robes and flip flops. They weren't waiting to purchase a new magnetic alphabet toy & 2T jeans like I was. They were waiting for food. And a chance to sit on Santa's lap and receive a present. For many kids, the only gift they'll receive this Christmas.

I'm paid to get publicity for Food Bank of the Rockies and educate the public about the need out there in our service area. It's my job. But days like this, I walk away wondering how I can spend a fraction of a second complaining about the hand I've been dealt. There are people who live in my city who stand in line for 3 hours in flip flops just so they can feed their families during the holidays. The 2,000 families & 5,000 kids I saw this morning aren't homeless. They all have at least one employed adult in their household and do their best to make a go of it.

Suddenly that Target line this morning feels like an incredible blessing.

2 comments:

daddybruce said...

It is interesting how lessons sometimes come when we are not looking for them... just like our Christmas tree cutting experience. Good insights, Gwen.

Anonymous said...

Amazing how we learn about others who are less fortunate than we are! Thanks for sharing.

Peg