1.25.2010

Puzzled


If you've seen the dude in the past month, you've witnessed his puzzle making magic. I know, we all think our kids are the awesomest, smartest kids on the block. Normally I have no prob admitting the traits of my half pint that drive me bazerk, but today I would like to gloat about the mild genius tendencies showing through his high pitched, squeaky, skinny little self.

In November, I spent $2 for 4 Disney board puzzles (about 20 pieces per puzzle) at a consignment sale. He mastered them in about an hour. We were mildly impressed. Next I bought him a stand alone puzzle (no board) that he figured out in half hour. So I figured I'd outsmart him and buy a 50 piece pirate puzzle. No picture to follow, no outlines on the board to match up. Hah! Take THAT you little puzzle whiz. The child took it out, without my knowledge, and had it half-way put together by the time I came downstairs. Within a couple hours he could do that freaking puzzle, with zero assistance from me. He helps ME do the thing and gets too frustrated when I try to help. I'm not fast enough and I do NOT know where the dragon head goes.

We think he memorizes stuff. Really fast and really accurately. It's the same with books. We read it once and he can fill in all the blanks the next time we read it. Mind you, he can't take off his socks in under 5 minutes (per sock), he up-chucks like it's going out of style and doesn't think to tell us when he has to take a crap, but we all have our strengths and weaknesses right?

1 comments:

Cara S. said...

This post made me laugh out loud. We, too, have the pirate puzzle. I, too, cannot ever figure out where that stupid dragon's head goes (it's upside down or something...)

And, I agree. Rylan, you are very good at puzzles. It will be very cool/interesting to see what that translates into as an adult! Keep up the good work.