2.25.2010

My Healthy Epiphany -for now.

Are you ready for this kids? Sit down. Yesterday, I had an epiphany. And I acted on it. My Honda Pilot took me to our rec center. Despite my rebellion, she parked herself, I took a deep breath, got out, walked into the rec center and before I knew it, I was working out. I know. I still don't believe it myself. But it happened. And before I stepped onto the elliptical machine, I found myself purchasing a 15 punch pass, ensuring that I WILL return to do it again. At least 14 more times to be exact. The hope it that I will complete those 15 sessions and then purchase some more, but my better half insists in seeing proof before we purchase more pudding.


As I worked out, this is what I witnessed around me, making me feel a bit humiliated that this was the first time my butt entered those healthy doors. In front of me on treadmills were 4 senior citizen (like over 70) cute little men. One was in khakis, a tucked in dress shirt and white sneakers. The other was in tight jeans, loafers and white socks with a tucked in denim shirt. The other 2 had baggy sweatpants (tapered at the bottom) with tucked in t-shirts. So cute right? They worked out the entire time my 31 year old frame did and were breathing much more steadily than I. My heart raced at the mere thought that their hearts were probably in better shape than mine. So pathetic. I picked up my pace and vowed that this day was the first day of my initiative to get in shape.

Dude will also be getting in shape here soon. We just registered him for soccer lessons at our local park. This is mainly for our entertainment value, but I'm sure he'll do lots of running too. I'll definitely be taking video of his first "game." He'll also be taking swimming lessons in April to ensure that Mommy will not have to hold him every second of our pool visiting experiences this summer. What is Daddy doing to get in shape? Well, he went on a business trip last week and ate three 5 star restaurant dinners in a row. He was so full that he hasn't eaten much since getting home. That's something, right?




1 comments:

Barb J. said...

Way to go , Gwen! That has been my workout location for about 9 years now and I am still kicking! Don't make too much fun of the old people as I am one of them too. But glad you are a punch card holder like me. Come to a class sometime. You will feel so young and in shape!