2.23.2010

Vacuums in Dude's Bed


We heard a "thump" last night at 2:00am, followed by a tiny but extremely urgent plea for Mommy and Daddy's help. Dude's door was open by the time we bolted from bed to rescue him. What were we rescuing him from? Vacuums. Bad, scary vacuums hiding under his pillow. Dude had his first nightmare. And Tim and I tried our darnest not to laugh in the midst of the drama. It was terrifying for him, but really quite endearing for us.

Our hysterically crying little man clutched me, legs wrapped tightly around my waste, stuttering about the scary vacuums in his pillow and refusing to step foot near his big boy bed. For fear he would turn to dust and be eaten whole. We finally turned on the light so he could see the lack of vacuums - it took him a very confused minute of looking around before he realized that there were no actual dust eating machines in his bed. Then he decided it would be appropriate to go play cars and puzzles at 2:00am. Or perhaps go to bed in Mommy's bed. We refuse to break our tradition of never allowing him sleep in our bed, so I laid with him for 30 minutes, scolding the vacuums and telling them to go far, far away. Eventually I was permitted to exit and the remainder of the night was vacuum free.

As I just left his room after tucking him in he said, "Don't let da bed bugs or loud vacuums bite." I think I'll ward off vacuuming for the next few days.

1 comments:

Cara S. said...

When I first opened this post and started reading, I thought that Rylan had somehow lugged your vacuum into his bed. I was quite shocked. Then I figured out what actually happened...