10.03.2011

Heaven from a Little Dude's Perspective


There's been a lot of heaven talk round here lately.  We introduced the concept of dying and heaven when Grandpa Jerry passed away and just recently, Dude has really become quite taken with the idea of this magical place.  He talks about it multiple times per day and expresses his eagerness to go dere some day.  We try not to wince at the thought of it -we don't want it to become a sad concept, but we do try to stress how much we love having him on earth with us.  Below are some of his recent heaven related conversations...my mom told me I need to document the stuff that makes you grab at your heart.  And this stuff makes me grab.  Really hard. 

"Mom.  How was your day at work today?"  He looks at me with wide eyes and genuine interest in what I have to say.  I squeeze his cheeks and kiss him.  "Mom, maybe can I take my bed and my jungle sheets to heaven wif me?  Do you fink I can have my blue puppy dere too?  What about our house Mom?  How will it get to heaven?  Will it fly dere?  Will we drive our Honda Pilot dere Mom?  On da roads or da clouds?  What about slug bugs?  Will da leaves fall on the trees dere?  Should we tell Rea Rea about heaven when she gets old?"  I just let him talk and watch as his mind sorts through all of the practical things he's making sure will be in heaven for him.  Our little thinker.

Another day...I say, "Dude, I want you to always remember that we don't talk to strangers if Mom or Dad aren't with you.  If a stranger talks to you, you come find Mom or Dad first."  "Ok Mom, but if I see Jesus come down from da clouds, I will run to talk to him.  Because he's my friend Mom.  And I know him."

He associates "old" people and things with going to heaven.  Doesn't quite understand that God takes young people to heaven too- those lessons will come later. We picked up an old book to read one night.  I explained that this was a very old story and he says, "Mom will dis story go to heaven soon because it is sooo old?"

My Gram has been sick and in the hospital (doing much better lately), so Dude and I made a card for her.  I always have him dictate what he wants to write in cards.  This is what he decided to tell Gigi...."Dear Gigi, I will pick some flowers from my house and bring dem to you cause dey will make you happy.  It is very far to walk to Michgan.  And don't worry, when you get some old you will just go to heaven to see Jesus.  And Jerry will be dere too.  It will be soooo nice!"  A clench your heart moment. 

What I wouldn't give to have the wonder and awe of my four point five year old son.  The never ending questions may get on our every nerve, but they come from a place to genuine interest in life and God and love and everything he has yet to learn.  If only we could package this short lived innocence.

0 comments: