12.09.2014

Ho Ho Ho Around Here

The weather outside has been far from frightful, but December has been rather delightful.  We're in full holiday mode around here and are loving every minute.  I can't remember the last November/December that have felt this calm and enjoyable.  Perhaps that's because this is the first year I haven't been gainfully employed.  Yes, that might just be it.  


I have some catch up to do here, so I'll smatter you with a conglomeration of photos from the past month's happs.  


In exchange for heading to the hills to cut down a tree, we headed to what I was assuming was a magical "parking lot" filled with rows and rows of beautiful, affordable, plush trees ready to take home.  I was correct about the plush and beautiful part, but the rest turned out to look like a sketchy used car lot filled with evergreens.  The immediately non-trustable trucker hat gentleman lead us around the lot, refusing to give us any prices, until we found THE tree.  She was gorgeous and for the steal of a deal price of $145 (which he wrote down and showed to us),she could be ours.  We both laughed.  Loudly.  I informed him that Whole Foods would suit us just fine and we would be happy to bring our Christmas tree business there.  He began stuttering and ran off to find "the boss."  The boss, a nervous little man who barked orders to the Christmas tree orderlies, then brought us up front and had "our tree" brought up so he could strike a deal.  He decided on $85.  Tim laughed again and told him we wouldn't spend a penny more than $50.  Another "boss" decided that they would allow it this one time so we could see how fresh it was.  We would be back he said with assurance.  Ok sketchatrons.  We certainly won't, but thanks for the pretty tree.  She does look grand.  


 While we waited for the used tree salesman to "write down" our price. 

 While we waited for "the boss" to haggle a new price.


After those shenanigans, we headed down the street to the go karting track, Dude's fave.  He got a round in and I got some Dad approved photos of the process.


 Love.  This. Shot.  


 "You see Squirt, that will be you in 4 years.  The shifter and the g force and the checkered flag...." That's what I hear.  

 Dad invited Due on the roof for some man time.  Dude could have stayed up there all day.  


One Saturday night we ventured downtown Littleton (one of my favorite charming little spots) for dinner and the Light/Santa Parade with our newish buds.  I'm so thankful for these lovely people. Dara and Molly have become staples in our life.


 Joy joy joy.





We stuck around to meet the man himself.  Squirt has no fear of the jolly, bearded gift giver.  Nor does Dude.  Below, he's saying something like, "Ya know, I would like a magic button that makes the Ninjago guy go from green to black and like I will fly to Saturn and find home building power.  And maybe a robot too."  Santa's face during his speech is rather priceless.


 This comical shot was a perfect vision for what the Santa experience was like for Dara's family.  Jacob is sitting, arms crossed to the left.  He's over Santa at the tender age of 8.  Caroline was ALL about it and Molly is not so subtly burying her entire body into the safe arms of her mother.

 Squirt, in her Sunday best....oh but wait.  We dont have any dress shoes.  So she chose plastic cow girl boots.  I think it only added to the outfit.  

 I've never been good at hair.  I tend to look the same from day to day.  But I refuse to give when it comes to my baby girl.  Not bad huh?  I was impressed enough to take pictures so I could give myself visual pep talks when needed.


 You can see the beautiful red locks on my childhood Cabbage Patch doll, so rudely CHOPPED off by my sweet angel.  AND my daughter refuses to call her by her birth name, "Victoria."   She changed it to "Olivia."  Not cool.  

 Mom, Daughter time in the morning is cherished by both of us.  We were racing cars along the window sill.  How could I resist these shots?  


Tim's step-sister, Aunt Steph, is enrolled at Colorado Christian University in their nursing program and is moving here!!!!  We're stoked to have her in town.  She's a goof ball, just like her mom.
 

The end for now.  I hope you're taking it all in this holiday season.  May the materialistic, marketing gods NOT put you in a crabby trance and may you find time to read a book, fall asleep by your Christmas tree, find an occassion to wear an ugly Christmas sweater, light evergreen scented candles, and reflect on the gift given to us at Christmas.  

0 comments: