9.03.2014

Yet Another New Path


I've been home "writing" for 8 months now. I planned these past 8 months to be a magical time of completing a quarter of my memoir by now, a few drafts of my children's book series and gaining a steady following on my new blog.  Life would be easy and dreamy.  I would drink a whole bunch of coffee with Enzo at my feet, I would visit people in my district at church, I would gain contacts in the editing and publishing world, I would retrieve Dude from the bus every day....it was my new path.  Well, I HAVE blogged a portion of what I hoped to and gained followers.  I've reached people and helped them through struggles we've walked through.  That's been good.  I've become a coffee drinker, provided I have fake sweetener included, all with Enzo under my feat.  I've definitely met with people from my district and struggled with helping them through their struggles.  I've met Dude off the bus and spent time working with him.  These things have rung true. However, I have NOT written what I thought I would write and it hasn't been dreamy or magical.  I don't have connections or chunks of books to show for my efforts.  And I had a hard time tackling my own sense of self and what my purpose was.  That, I did NOT expect.

I felt this "urging/calling" to quit my job when I did.  It came out of nowhere really.  What I know now is that the writing was a part of that, but the deeper calling was centered around being present for my family.  Life was about to dish up some junk that needed attention and care and love and time.  I had those things to offer since my daily life was centered around sitting at my shabby chic desk.  I had time and I had focus.  Without those two key pieces, I'm not sure what life would have looked like.  It wouldn't have been pretty.  I wrote through the junk and that was therapy for me.  I found myself and doubted myself.  I reached in deep when I wasn't quite sure what I would find.  Writing was a key element to all of that discovery.

8 months later, life has smoothed out.  We've overcome obstacles, made decisions for our kids, and done some healing and restoration in many regards.  With those months behind us, I've just been gifted with a new challenge and path.  I wasn't searching (yet), but Tim and I were in discussions about me looking for something part time to get me back in the professional world and to bring in more income.  Out of the beautiful blue came an email from Tim's boss.  A friend of hers was looking for a Marketing Director for a Christian organization he directs, Healing Waters International.  Would I be interested?  She thought I was a perfect fit and he only wanted to talk to people who came recommended.

I looked at the job description and chuckled a bit.  This position was the equivalent of 2.5 people at food bank and I wasn't even looking for full time.  I just wanted to get out of my home office from time to time. The more I read about the organization and the essential work they do to provide safe water for people in third world countries, the more intrigued I got.  This was something I could feel.  It wasn't just a job.  And I fit their need to a capital T.  I had to inquire.  Three days later I met Ed for coffee and was offered a job with the opportunity to choose how many hours I'm able to work and split hours between office and home.  Ed values family and time and offered the opportunity to find the balance that worked for me.  All this, right in my lap.  Random?  I think not.  Ed and I both agree this was sent directly from above, for both of us.

As I sat in the interview and sipped on my Starbucks Skinny Vanilla Latte with one pump raspberry, I devoured the info this brilliant and passionate man shared with me about the history of the org, the staff, the family they've created at the office, the overseas travel I would be able to do, the emphasis on empowering women overseas to see their full potential, the interviews I would conduct and the writing I would do.  It was like one big hallelujah for my heart and my mind.  It gave me a sense of purpose again - I would be doing something IN the world FOR the world and I'd get paid for it.  How sweet is that?  Not that my writing is void of being IN and FOR.  It is, but I need more.  I need to be able to check things off a list and put on a bra for someone other than myself.  I need to meet with people and share inspiration and creativity.  I need to get my hands dirty and put some miles on my car.  The best part of all this is that I'll still be present for my littles and for my husband.  Granted, our schedule will need to be followed verbatim (no room for deviance), but Tim and I decided, over a delectable Bonefish dinner, that we are willing to make this work.  When God drops a blessing like this from the clear blue, you act.  We're acting. Childcare is in place, my schedule is lined up, meal plans are laid out, Tai Kwondo classes won't be missed, preschool drop off and pick up will remain mine....it's all working out, miraculously I might add.  Job start D Day is September 12th.   I'll let you know how it goes.

 Due to the extreme love of dogs in the office, this guy will remain under my feet. I LOVE that.


Visit Healing Waters International to learn about the cause I'll now be advocating, marketing, fighting and praying for.  Water and hygiene.  They certainly do a body good.  No matter where you live.
 

          

2 comments:

Trish said...

Congrats Gwen. The opportunity never would have arisen had you not left FBR to "write". Writing may not have been what you expected, but I think this sounds amazing and I wish you the best of luck on your new path!

KiraE said...

Wow, Gwen! That sounds amazing! Good for you, girl. Love you!