7.28.2011

Our Aluminum Anniversary


When I met my now beau of 10 years, I was a giddy college Freshman about to party at her very first kegger.  I know, just bear with me.  All dolled up with my new found cute roomies, we walked up a block to the party house and passed a couple of freshman guys sitting on the front steps of the neighboring house.  We introduced ourselves, with more than annoying party girl enthusiasm and walked away, ready to meet the next round of strapping college boys.  One of those porch dwellers was "Tim, from Timothy High school."  I had no idea that this tall guy wearing a purple plaid shirt and somewhat tapered jeans would be my future husband and father of my children. 


"Tim from Timothy" and I became friends.  We'd hug every time we greeted each other on campus and talked all about our dating lives those first few months of our first year.  I kinda knew this Tim fella was interested in a bit more than the occasional hug, but I wasn't havin' it.  Too many boys, too little time. 

Come January, the 16th to be exact, Tim from Timothy asked me out.  On a date.  Just the two of us.  I was freaked, but said yes.  Immediately I went to my friend Melissa's dorm room and told her to make me as unattractive as she could.  Then Tim from Timothy surely wouldn't want to take this friendship thing any further.  I wore an enormously large, purple, people eater sweater and did a horrid feathering of my hair and I was off to Ruby Tuesday and Titanic with my date. 


I came back to my dorm following the movie and my girly friends were waiting to hear all the awkward details.  I had a smooth smile on my face and a calmness in my voice as I explained to them that "It must have gone well because I'm gonnna marry this guy."  They stood, mouths agape, but I was sure.  No more college guys for me.  This Tim from Timothy won me over at our 2 hour dinner and there was no looking back.  We dated all 3.5 years and got married on July 28, 2001.  No break ups, no hesitations, no blow out arguments, no second guessing....it was like my room mate Maddie always said, "You're like salt and pepper.  You guys just go together." 

Yes we do.  After 14 years of togetherness and 10 years of weddedness, there's no one I'd rather be with.  Share my life with.  Raise my kids with.  Go to sleep with.  Watch the news with.  Argue with.  Take hikes with.  Plan meals with.  Wash the car with.  Pray with.  Budget with.  Giggle with.  Cry and pout with.  Plan the future with.  All that good stuff and the bad too.  He's the best "salt" I could ever ask for, because we all know that I'm the pepper in this relationship. 

Happy Anniversary studly.  Thanks for being my sunshine, my rock, my resting place, my confidant, my calm waters, my glass half full, my encourager, my biggest fan and my bestest friend all these years.  Can't wait to see what the next 10 have in store. 

Enjoy the walk down salt and pepper lane below. 










2 comments:

Sweet Home Colorado said...

Happy Anniversary you two!!! Love all the flashback photos!

Cara S. said...

This is awesome. It's crazy how fast ten years has gone! I love seeing the old pics, especially because I was there (and even took a few!) for a lot of them. What fun to share our lives together. I've never heard the "salt and pepper" thing, but it couldn't be more true. What a great team you make. Happy Anniversary, we love you guys.