7.19.2011

Our Day in Court



Our little bundle is officially a Mile High Vogel.  In every one's eyes, other than the state, she already was.  But we needed this little visit to the Gerogetown courthouse to make it official.  And so we went and celebrated our sissy's adoption day with cheers and enthusiasm.  Dude kinda understands what it all means and was a great sport.  Here's a breakdown of our 10 minutes in court.

Judge enters his chambers.  We stand (we being Tim, me, Dude, Squirt, our case worker and the clerk).  The judge kind of acknowledges us and asks us to be seated.  Squirt is already squealing and making dinosaur like noises as loud as babily possible and Dude is loudly telling her (into the microphone) to be quiet for da judge in da black robe.  Does the judge crack a smile?  Nope.  Talks over them and informs us that he will ask me a series of questions and will then ask Tim if he agrees with my answers.  Note, this is about the funnest case a judge can receive.  No criminals, no bail, no drug addicts or custody battles...this is pure happy.  Unfortunately, this doormat didn't see it that way.  What does a judge (this judge) ask at an adoption day hearing?  Things like this....

"Tell me about your marriage."  He was satisfied when I told him we're best friends.  Even smiled a bit.

"Where do you reside?" (I answered with the wrong city subsequently...I have no idea why or what I was thinking).  I quickly corrected myself. 

"I presume this is your son.  Does he like his sister?"  If I said no, he can't stand her and pinches her when we're not looking, would he have nixed the whole thing? 

"Tell me about your residence.  Do the children have their own rooms?"  As if that's of any importance.

"Are you aware that by agreeing to this hearing that your daughter will become as if she was a biological child according to the law?"  I did  not say anything sarcastic, you'd be proud.  I just smiled and said, "of course sir."  

"If your marriage terminates, are you aware that she will be treated like a biological child would in a custody hearing?"  Again, I bit my tongue.  Hard.  Very very hard.  By this time, Dude is playing under the table and tickling our legs.  Squirt has not stopped squealing and is eating everything she can get her hands on.  The clerk is laughing, but not Mr. Judge.  Very serious.

"Tell me about your job and our husband's job."  I held back the "stripper" response that I was so tempted to give him.  All kinds of fun things ran through my head the entire time.  Not that I don't take this all very seriously, but I'm about done proving myself as a parent to the authorities.  Enough is enough is enough is enough.

Squirt is our baby.  And we are the best darn family on this earth for her.  God knew that when we put us all together.  And we couldn't be more thrilled to be officially done having other people involved, inspecting, questioning, charging, visiting etc. etc.

Happy Adoption Day pretty girl.  We'll celebrate this day for years to come.  Not as a legal schmegal day in court, but rather a day to celebrate the beautiful story that is ours.     

 Georgetown is a quaint, mountain town, so we took a short stroll and picked up a Christmas ornament as a memento of the day.

 No significance.  Just don't see my name very often.


 We had a picnic by Georgetown lake before heading home with two very sleepy babes.



My 3 favorite people.

3 comments:

Cara S. said...

Congratulations. Glad that things went smoothly, and we agree that Reagan is pretty much the perfect fit for your family of four. Love you guys.

Amy DeYoung said...

So happy for you!!!

Sweet Home Colorado said...

Congrats!! We are thrilled for you and LOVE seeing you so happy! We love little Reagan too! Yay! What a happy day!