12.22.2010

Mixed Emotions

Today.  It's a weird day.  We came off of a high meeting our newest little buddy, Landon, yesterday.  Cara gave birth at 2:20am on Tuesday morning.  It all went smoothly and everyone is healthy and doing well.  And Landon is just a sight to behold.  He has more hair than I have ever seen on a newborn.  He was nearly 10 pounds and already looks like a 3 month old.  We're so grateful for his safe and healthy arrival and love him so much already. 



On the flip side, this morning we got word that our Grandpa Jerry passed away suddenly in the middle of the night in Grand Rapids, MI.  It was a massive heart attack.  My Grandma and Jerry got married 3 years ago after my Gram spent 40 years alone and Jerry had previously lost two loving wives.  We were so thrilled that they found happiness in each other and would spend their remaining years taking care of one another.  And that he did.  He took care of my Gram better than anyone else could.  He was a blessing and was a kind hearted, gentle and patient man.  He and my Gram spent a week out here this past summer.....we're so glad they did now that he's gone.  That time will be treasured by all of us, including the Dude.  He remembers Grandpa Jerry very clearly.

Of course I would give anything to be with my Gram right now....but leaving when Brook could have the baby any time just can't happen.  And so here I sit.  So sad for my Gram and Jerry's family and for my family.  I pray that God will give her peace and that her heart will come back from this break.  Hearing her voice on the phone was just wrenching.  Losing 2 husbands in a lifetime sucks.  It just sucks.  Especially right before Christmas.



Jerry had allowed Duder and Riley to put stickers all over his face, shirt, arms...what a trooper.

So that's the latest.  We don't have any baby news yet, which is okay.  There's enough going on right now that early January would be just fine.  For now, we'll bask in baby Landon and all his cuteness.  And in our little man, who has brought me much needed smiles and laughs today. 

1 comments:

Sweet Home Colorado said...

Gwen, we are so sorry to hear this sad news! We will be praying for your entire family! We love you guys!