1.22.2011

Grateful

There's a lot to process about the past couple of weeks.  A whole lot.  I've had so many friends tearfully tell me what a blessing our story has been to follow and how amazing the end result is.  Its been rather touching for me to see people's investment in us and in our family.  And they're right.  They're so right. For me, its been tough being in the midst of "living it" to really comprehend everything that has taken place.  I haven't taken time to really think about the big picture.  We've been so focused on living each day, step by step, and haven't allowed ourselves to get caught up in the big picture.  Does that make any sense?  But now it's over and we have these two amazing kids.  And no one can change that or take that from us.  We don't have to live in anxiety anymore.  We don't have to pray that our baby girl will end up in our arms.  We don't have to talk to Dude about bringing his baby sissy home.  She's home.  And she's perfect (well, minus some nasty gas issues) and healthy and so chubby and beautiful.   

The newborn stage isn't my very favorite cup of tea, I'll be honest.  I need a few weeks to adjust and be okay just being still with a sometimes happy, sometimes screaming infant.  And so, in the midst of living the reality of worrying about who has to poop, eat or who needs attention and adjusting to catering to this little bean, I've been trying to take some time to really think about the big picture and how far we've come.   It kinda seems like a movie that I've been viewing outside of myself.  A movie with a really miraculous ending.  Below is my "grateful check list."  Just a smattering of things that our great God has blessed us with as of late.      

#1.  Dude.  In all his Dudeness.  And his ability to adapt. 

#2.  Princess Squirt.  As of today, 15 whole days old.

#3.  My right and patient hand, Tim.  He is everything that I'm not during this newborn phase and the most amazing Dad our kids could ever dream to ask for.

#4.  A picture perfect Wyoming experience.  Aside from an 18 hour labor and an emotionally draining day for all of us, we couldn't have asked for a more ideal experience.  The weather cooperated for the drive up and back, Brook never wavered, her family was awesome to hang with, Squirt came out healthy and a girl (I was a bit nervous about that "oops, it's a boy" possibility, the hotel experience went surprisingly well, we stayed healthy, Dude was in excellent hands and a happy camper and we came home in remarkable time.

#5.  Understanding and generous employers.  They're like family and for that, we're oh so grateful.

#6.  Supportive, helpful, loving and super fun friends and family.  They've enveloped us these past months and make the not so good days that much better.

#7.  A baby who digs night time sleeping.  She might be gassy McPherson during the day at times, but she pulls 5 to 6 hour stretches at night.  What more could we ask for really?

#8.  Meals.  So many delish meals.  Meals that this somewhat overwhelmed Mama would not be making otherwise.  Thank you.

#9.  This blog.  It's astonishing how many people can stay connected to our little journey through this thing called the Internet.  It enables me to ignore the phone when talking is not what's in the cards for that moment.  I WILL call you back eventually. 

#10.  God's grace.  May sound cliche, but God has carried us through this journey with strength, patience and hope.  Thus Squirt's middle name.  Hope has really held us up and allowed us to stay optimistic.  In addition to that, the church I grew up in (Hope Christian Reformed) has been like an extended family my entire existence.  I've always known I'd use the name for a girl and I can finally say that I fulfilled that lifelong wish. 

Oh...I'm also grateful that Squirt is sleeping soundly, minus gas pains today.  Let's "hope" that continues:)  That's my grateful for the day.     

Look at that double chin.  Getting bigger by the day.  Or maybe by the hour. 

I forgot to upload this in an earlier post.  Just a few ladies that I'm oh so grateful for.

0 comments: